Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Instant Polenta is the new couscous

Instant polenta is the new couscous.

Back about a year ago, I was eating a lot of couscous. This was just before I cut gluten out of my diet. It was the ultimate easy lunch food - pour boiling water over it and stand while you heat up some baked beans.

I was a bit sad to lose that particular convenience.

I don't believe it took me so long to try instant polenta. I'd made polenta a few times from scratch, but stirring for 20 minutes is at the upper end of intensive for me. Recently, as in within the last week, I bought some instant polenta and gave it a go.

I didn't expect it to be so easy. Pour into boiling water with some seasonings, and stir until thick - about 3 minutes. Pour onto a plate to set. I could make this at work!!! It's ridiculous!


Instant Polenta


1 c water
62.5 g instant polenta
dash of salt

smoked herb salt mix (or other favourite seasoning)
fancy extra virgin olive oil

Boil the water and put in a pot (or boil it in the pot!). Pour instant polenta into the pot, stirring as you do so. Add the salt. Keep stirring until thick. Pour or spread onto a plate and let set.

Sprinkle seasoned salt liberally over the top, and drizzle with some nice olive oil. You could eat it as is, look at it:

Instant Polenta
Instant polenta with smoked salt and olive oil
Creative Commons License

I served this one a few days ago with fried eggs on top. Today I had it with baked beans, in a fit of too-lazy-to-cook, and with a nod back to my baked beans on couscous days.

No comments:

Post a Comment