Monday, June 29, 2009

Café Reka @ New Dowse

As I'm short on time, here's a pre-prepared post I've had sitting around for a little while. Another café review! Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of the food! (I must have been too hungry.)

We went out to the New Dowse in Lower Hutt to view an exhibition of street art, primarily stencils and skate deck design.

Zebra Leaf Board
Common Ground Exhibition at New Dowse
Creative Commons License

But I'm not here to write about the exhibition, or the gallery. Instead, I wanted to mention Café Reka, the gallery's eatery, which I had the opportunity to try.

As mentioned on the website, the café has a number of gluten free options, both counter food and items marked on the menu. Some of these were also vegetarian. I spent some time deciding between the salads on offer, or pancakes. My sweet tooth often tries to sway me, but I know that I would more often prefer a savoury meal - so I went with the salad.

I had: Courgette and fennel salad with blue cheese and hazelnut (and a fancy dressing that I forget). Rhubarb, banana, and honey smoothie.

Evaluation: Salad was the best eva!!!!! Excuse my enthusiasm, it was so good! Yum. I wish I could remember what the dressing was, because that really made it. But the crunch of hazelnuts, unusual in a salad, and the beautiful blue cheese... The smoothie was ok - though I'm not sure that they made it with yoghurt and no milk like I asked them to, it just didn't seem that thick... But oh! that salad, it was really quite special.

No comments:

Post a Comment