Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cookbook Case Study - Quick and Easy: Vegetarian recipes from around the world for Western Kitchens

The second cookbook I've chosen for a Cookbook Case Study is one that Neil gave me for Christmas. This was soon after I'd started eating gluten free, and although the book itself is not gluten free, very few of the recipes contain wheat. Of those that do, I suspect many of those that do could use easy substitutions. My copy is called Quick and Easy: Vegetarian recipes from around the world for Western kitchens. It came from Trade Aid, and is published by New Internationalist. The book Global Vegetarian Cooking: Quick & Easy Recipes from Around the World has a different cover and publisher, but appears to be exactly the same on the inside (I checked on Amazon).

Global Vegetarian Cooking: Quick & Easy Recipes from Around the World

The recipes within are organised first by course, then by region (Africa, Asia, Latin America & Caribbean, and Middle East). The book begins with a gallery of ingredients, as well as a nutrition guide and tips for a vegetarian diet. It's full of colourful photos of people preparing food, photos of markets, or photos of fruits, vegetables, or spices. (Sometimes, however, I would look at the picture and really want to make what was shown in it, but it would not be a recipe on that page, nor even in the book.) In the introduction to each recipe, interesting facts are given about the country or the ingredient. It's really quite a nice book just to flick through.

The recipes I bookmarked to make were:

Mushrooms with Cardamom - India
Com Chien (Pot Roasted Rice) - Vietnam

Dal and Jaggery Payasam (Mung Bean Dessert) - India
Peanut Cookies - Guadaloupe

I'll be updating with links as I go!

1 comment:

  1. I can say that this cookbook is good for quick and easy vegetarian dinner recipes especially that it's a good guide.

    ReplyDelete