Monday, June 22, 2009

Adopt a GF Blogger - Simply... Gluten Free's Ricotta Lemon Pancakes.

Since we moved from Newtown, we pretty much never go out for brunch in the weekend anymore. Even if we still lived there, I'm not sure there would be as much available to me now that I'm gluten free - though I'm sure Pranah could do something. This constant lack of brunch leaves me craving syrupy pancakes with fresh fruit, or other brunchy goodies.



This month, Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger is hosted by Faking it Gluten Free Style, to take the pressure off Sea at Book of Yum, who has a couple of busy months coming. I've been watching this event for some time, but this is the first time I've participated. I picked a blogger that I've only recently been introduced to, Carol, at Simply... Gluten-Free. Carol has many extremely tempting recipes, especially under the 'desserts' label.

Because of my recent lack of brunch, the recipe I was drawn towards was for Ricotta Lemon Pancakes. I've only made gluten free pancakes once before, and I was drawn towards this alternative grain-free version, held together by beaten egg-white.

Ricotta pancakes
Ricotta Lemon pancakes with persimmon, banana, tamarillo, and maple syrup.
Creative Commons License

I'll admit, I had a bit of trouble with the recipe to start with. My first two pancakes stuck to the pan, and turned into scrambled eggs!

Pancakes on enamelScrambled pancakes
First attempt - oops!
Creative Commons License

Sadly, my enamelled cast-iron fry-pan is not living up to its non-stick reputation. I switched to teflon at that stage, and only had to contend with my stovetop and its lack of temperature control.

Pancakes - now in non-stick variety
Finally - pancakes!
Creative Commons License

Things went much better from there on!

Ricotta pancakes
Neil's pancakes with persimmon, banana, and maple syrup.
Creative Commons License

They were really good with the fruit and maple syrup. Without, they were more omeletty than pancakey. Their texture was great, nothing like the tough gluten free pancakes I've made in the past. Definitely one to keep in the books for a day when I don't mind beating eggs!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for choosing my to adopt. Yes, a truly non-stick pan is essential. They look lovely with the persimmons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, those look delicious. Hope you had fun participating in Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger for the first time. This month is only my second time, I think its rather fun.

    ReplyDelete