Monday, May 25, 2009

Three Bean Chilli - Cookbook Case Study - Vegetarian Cooking Without

Vegetarian Cooking without: Recipes Free from Added Gluten, Sugar, Yeast, Dairy Products, Meat, Fish, Saturated Fat

I'd never made a chilli before, so this was an initial exploration into unfamiliar territory. The recipe calls for red kidney beans, azuki beans, and whole red lentils. I had both varieties of beans in my cupboard - the red kidney beans leftover from a not quite successful Gumbo Z'Herbes (which failed to thicken with my gluten-free roux). I suspect I could have found whole red lentils at an Indian grocery store, but I chose instead to substitute with a blend of split red and whole brown lentils, the first of which a pantry staple in my house.

All in all, I found this a very acceptable chilli. I doubled the recipe, and encouraged by the note at the end of the recipe, have a few servings packed away in the freezer for later convenience.

The one difficulty I had in following the recipe stemmed from my total novice status at cooking dried beans (having been vegetarian for over ten years, too!). I had no idea about cooking times, apart from a vague expectation that it would be a long time. However, after simmering the final chilli for two hours (the beans having already cooked for an hour), I was hungry enough to serve it, slight crunch though there was in a bean or two. (The leftovers, having been left in the pot for the rest of the evening, were perfect.)

I look forward to revisiting this recipe later, when I raid the freezer, and comparing to chillis that I hope to make from other books.

Three Bean Chilli
Laying out the ingredients (beans already cooked - not shown because they're ugly!)
Creative Commons License

Three Bean Chilli
Vegetables chopped and cooking. I know, a flash may have shown more, but it looks so much yummier without!
Creative Commons License

Three Bean Chilli
The spices, waiting.
Creative Commons License

Three Bean Chilli
Steamy chilli.
Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment